• Ce sujet est fermé Ce sujet est fermé
228 réponses à ce sujet

#1 APriestOfGix

APriestOfGix
  • Membres
  • 39 messages

Posté 02 November 2007 - 19:00

The EPIC Storm

The EPIC storm is a combo deck meant to abuse as many powerful cards as it can fit. It's the closest thing to Vintage you can play in Legacy, and is one of the premiere decks. It is fast, winning turns 1-3 if all goes well. However it is far from the fastest deck in Legacy. Both CRET Belcher and Spanish Inquisition Win turns 1-2 and both boast a MUCH higher turn 1 win %. The reason to play "TES" in Legacy is because of its uncanny ability to be able to win through anything. It is also much more consistent than Belcher, rarely losing to itself; and it can shrug off hate that would make SI players cry. TES is on of the strongest decks in Legacy, playing more "broken" and powerful cards than any other deck. One of the reasons it sees little play is its required play skill. First it takes a lot of time to play well, you need not be the next Jon Finkle, but you must have logged long hours with the deck to play it well. The larger issue is its overwhelming choices. The same factors that make it amazingly versatile, can kill you in a tournament, as few players can make it through the entire day, playing the deck well with all the decisions you must make. This has lead to the deck being underplayed. However, if you are a somewhat skilled player (and because your on the net, looking at articles I'll assume you are), and are willing to skip staying up till 4am the night before a Grand Prix, and get a good night's sleep and come rested and ready to the tournament playing TES to a Top 8 spot should not be an overwhelming task. Without further ado, I bring you the list, you all are waiting for.

// NAME: The EPIC Storm
// AUTHOR: APriestOfGix

// Lands
2 Undiscovered Paradise
4 City of Brass
4 Gemstone Mine

// Protection/Combo Hate
4 Orim's Chant
2 Xantid Swarm/Pyroblast

// Mana
4 Chrome Mox
4 Lotus Petal
4 Lion's Eye Diamond
4 Rite of Flame
4 Dark Ritual
4 Simian Spirit Guide

// Tutor/Draw
4 Brainstorm
4 Infernal Tutor
4 Burning Wish
2 Infernal Contract

// Broken Combo/Storm Enablers
1 Diminishing Returns
1 Ill-Gotten Gains

// Win
3 Empty the Warrens
1 Tendrils of Agony

// Wishboard
SB: 1 Diminishing Returns
SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
SB: 1 Ill-Gotten Gains
SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
SB: 1 Shattering Spree
SB: 1 Tranquility
SB: 1 Cruel Bargain
SB: 1 Duress
SB: 1 Goblin War Strike
SB: 1 Cave-In

// Sideboard
SB: 2 Red Elemental Blast
SB: 3 Pyroblast

(All netdeckers may now leave, you have your list and are now free to copy and paste into MWS and never understand what you're actually playing)

Card Choices:

Lands

City of Brass - Best 5 color land, since it was printed. Gives the deck exactly what it needs in ability to pick a new color each turn, and has a minor drawback. You really should only be tapping this no more than 3 times, and winning before turn 3 is quite common. Auto 4 of.

Gemstone Mine - Second best 5 color land. In this deck better than City of Brass as you should never be tapping it 4 times, since you should be winning turn 3 at the latest. Auto 4 of.

Undiscovered Paradise – These two slots used to be split 1/1 with Tomb of Urami. Currently with all five colors present in the deck, I find it more useful to have the ability to play chants and such, and like more 5 color lands. That's not to say that the 1/1 split isn't good, it's just makes playing all your spells out a little harder. Although, the 3rd win condition of Tomb of Urami can come in handy some times. The choice is really up to your personal play preferences and your local metagame.

Protection/Combo Hate

Orim's Chant - This used to be a 2 of. However, it has proven to be better than swarm, more time than not. It obviously stops Force of Will, Stifle, Daze, Counterspell, and all other spells when going off. It is better than swarm though, when it comes to being a hate card. It can be played during an upkeep to "Time Walk" an opponent, and give you more time to draw that tutor. It can also be used against aggro to buy you one more turn. But one of the greatest effects is you can play it during the middle of your opponents combo, or in response to them play a chant/swarm of their own. It really is amazing here. It also adds one storm if used during your combo turn. Although the W mana cost can sometimes be tricky to cast, and still get B and R to use rituals, the inclusion of Simian Spirit Guide, and the 2nd Undiscovered Paradise, make it very playable, and an amazing inclusion in the deck. If you're not playing 4 you should seriously consider it, give it a try.

Xantid Swarm - This used to be an auto 4 of. Now Orim's Chant has proved itself and the deck just doesn't want to have 4 of these. Still very useful though, as they force Blue Based Control to have creature Removal, forcing decks such as Landstill, to keep in Swords to Plowshares, when there are only 2 cards in the deck for them to Swords. You might want to try a 3/3 split with Chant, if you are running a Tomb of Urami, as casting the G a turn before can be easier than trying to cast WURB all in the same turn.

Pyroblast – Stops Stifle, Force of Will, Daze, and all other blue hate in their tracks. Run more Pyroblast than REB as you can target your own spells with Pyroblast to +1 storm if you have nothing to target, and can spare R.

Mana

Chrome Mox - Lets the deck get some really fast turn 1 wins. Also allows you to get rid of unplayable spells to hellbent your Infernal Tutors. Acts as an extra land, and if just plain great acceleration. If you have noting to imprint can always be played un-imprinted for +1 storm.

Lotus Petal - Great for casting off color spells, and accelerating the deck. Amazing with Diminishing Returns, since you can save it, and pop it after for the exact color you need. Auto 4 of.

Lion's Eye Diamond - Unrestricted Black Lotus. There are times when it is actually better than Black Lotus, as you can use it to hellbent you Tutors. Just remember you must crack it before you pass priority on your Infernal Tutor/Burning Wish or else you will not get the chance to. Auto 4 of.

Rite of Flame - First one is a Simian Spirit Guide for +1 storm, second is a red Dark Ritual, and the 3rd and 4th are just broken. One of your better Tutor targets when you are tutoring for mana acceleration. Grab Rites and LED's with your Tutor, and you should be good on mana issues. You must play 4 or play none, and not playing this just seems bad.

Dark Ritual - Best ritual effect in the game. Nets you two mana for the input of 1. It gives you as much mana boost as Seething Song (which is seeing play in Belcher) for a third the input cost. Auto 4 of.

Simian Spirit Guide – This has been a controversial inclusion in the past. Many think it should not be played because of the fact it doesn't give you storm. However the power and speed it brings to the deck can't be denied. It helps you with multiple colors as you don't need a land now to start you Rite of Flames. Allows you to pay for daze tax easily, and helps get the R to cast Empty the Warrens. You may find you don't like running 4. That's a personal play preference, pick a number you like, and play them. If anything this is a card you should test before picking a number.

Tutor/Draw

Brainstorm - The best draw spell in the format. Sometimes better than Ancestral Recall, because you can hide your better cards back on top of your library, to avoid Duress and Hymn to Tourach. Despite the number of shuffle effects, it is very good. It also puts back unplayable cards, so you can empty your hand and hellbent an Infernal Tutor. Auto 4 of.

Infernal Tutor - The printing of Infernal Tutor has helped to push combo over the edge in Legacy. It lets you tutor for any card in your deck as reaching hellbent is easy. Sometimes however if you already have a Burning Wish/Infernal Tutor, it is often the correct play to Tutor up another acceleration piece, favorites being Rite of Flame and the amazing LED. If you have Wish/Tutor, LED, Tutor, and the mana to start, you can Tutor for your 2nd LED, grab a Ill-Gotten Gains, with the other tutor/wish, and start the amazing Tutor/LED/LED Ill-Gotten Gains chain. Auto 4 of, if your not playing 4, you're not playing TES.

Burning Wish - Similar to Infernal Tutor. Lets you break LED's ability, and can be used to grab answers out of the wish board. Auto 4 of, if your not playing 4, you're not playing TES.

Infernal Contract - Newest member of the main deck TES family. This is still being tested. Tutoring up a draw 4 may not be as strong as tutoring up a Draw 7, but it's a strong draw. Other inclusions that are strong candidates are Night's Whisper, Serum Visions, Plunge into Darkness, and oddly enough Tinder Wall. You must pick what you want to play. But these 2 slots are pretty much your room to make TES personal to you. I personally run 1 Infernal Contract, and a 2nd copy of Tendrils of Agony for the double Tendrils plan.

Broken Combo/Storm Enablers

Diminishing Returns - It reads "Draw 7", this means you must play it. There is some voice in favor of running more than 1 Returns in the main deck, but I find that to clutter you hand with overcosted 4cc spells. One seems to be the correct number, as you rarely want to naturally draw this, and only need it there as a Infernal Tutor target. This allows you to create storm with out relying on your graveyard, which lets you play around Crypt, Leyline, and other grave hate. Also can be used proactively to remove people's graveyards, stopping Cephalid Breakfast, and Ichorid.

Ill-Gotten Gains - Easiest and surest card to up your storm count with out the chance of fizzling. Unlike Diminishing Returns you know and can pick exactly what is being put into you hand, reducing the fizzle effect. Unlike Diminishing Returns however, it relies that you opponent doesn't have a Force of Will or other nasty in their grave, and doesn't have graveyard hate out. One of the most Tutored targets in the deck.

Win

Empty the Warrens - Allows for busted turn 1 plays, where you don't have enough storm to go lethal, but can just drop a grip of goblins on the table, and swing for the win. You should be running 3 as you want to have this in your starting hand, as tutoring for it means you should be able to tutor up something else and tendrils.

Tendrils of Agony - It's the lowest costing card (storm wise) that lets you win the game outright. Many say you only need 1 in your main deck, I prefer 2 since you don't have to worry about what gets removed with Diminishing Returns as much, or if you have the mana, can go for the double tendrils win, only needing half the storm, letting you rely less on the Broken Storm Enablers, and more on mana.

Wishboard

Many cards here are specific hate cards for deck TES has problems with. Spree. Tranquility, and Duress are such cards. They are there only to hate out cards in a general metagame, and if you play nothing but Stax all day, you might be able to put the anti-Force or anti-Solitary Confinement cards of Duress and Tranquility for more Spree's. These 3 slots are the only ones that are hate/metagame specific. Remember this is about the optimal hate coverage, for a large tournament like a Grand Prix or Worlds event where you can expect to see a little bit of everything.

Diminishing Returns - Burning Wishable Diminishing Returns.

Empty the Warrens - Burning Wishable Empty the Warrens.

Ill-Gotten Gains - Burning Wishable Ill-Gotten Gains.

Tendrils of Agony - Burning Wishable Tendrils.

Shattering Spree - Wishable Chalice of the Void/Trinisphere hate.

Tranquility - Wishable Enchantress hate, and other Solitary Confinement decks.

Cruel Bargain - Wishable draw 4.

Duress - Wishable Hand hate. Use this to pull a Force, Stifle, or other "nasty".

Goblin War Strike - Makes Empty the Warrens amazing. Acts as R burn for 8-12, lets you win with warrens the same turn if you have enough mana, and are being kept from Tendrils by mage, or other hate cards. I wasn't sure about this card at first, but after much testing it has proven its worth, if you're not running it seriously consider it, and test it out.

Cave-In - Stops other Empty the Warrens, kills off goblins like it's your job. Alternate cost makes it much more playable then Pyroclasm, and the fact you get an extra tendrils copy from the effect is a nice bonus. Many prefer pyroclasm, but using 2 of your cards at no mana cost, to kill off 3 goblins, or 10 tokens (which was 5 cards) seems like a more than fair deal.

Sideboard

Red Elemental Blast – Stops Stifle, Force of Will, Daze, and all other blue hate in their tracks.

Pyroblast – Stops Stifle, Force of Will, Daze, and all other blue hate in their tracks. Run more Pyroblast than REB as you can target your own spells with Pyroblast to +1 storm if you have nothing to target, and can spare R.

Playing The Deck

Here is a fun hand…

Brainstorm, Lotus Petal, Ill-Gotten Gains, Burning Wish, Simian Spirit Guide, Rite of Flame, Burning Wish. At first I though to mull, no land, and a few too few accelerants to pull off a fast win, but at second glance that first turn Brainstorm could go quite well…

Turn 1: Play the Petal. Crack for U, play Brainstorm. Draw City of Brass, Dark Ritual, and Lion's Eye Diamond (yeah!), put back Ill-Gotten Gains and Burning Wish. Storm: 2 Mana: 0
Play the City of Brass, tap for B, play Dark Ritual. Storm: 3 Mana: BBB
Remove Simian Spirit Guide, Play Rite of Flame. Storm: 4 Mana: BBBRR
Play Lion's Eye Diamond. Storm: 5 Mana: BBBRR
Play Burning Wish using BR; Crack the LED for U in response. Storm: 6 Mana: BBRUUU
Grab Diminishing Returns, Play it using UUBR. Storm: 7 Mana: BU
Draw new 7 of: Brainstorm, Brainstorm, Gemstone Mine, Lion's Eye Diamond, Orim's Chant, Infernal Tutor, and Lotus Petal. Storm: 7 Mana: BU
Play LED, Petal and Brainstorm, Draw some stuff, put back the land, and a drawn land. Storm: 10 Mana: B
Play the drawn Dark Ritual. Storm: 11 Mana: BBB
Crack the petal, play Brainstorm, Draw a LED, put back some extra stuff. Storm: 12 Mana: BBB
Play the Infernal, Crack both LED's IR. Storm: 13 Mana: BBBBRRR
Play Tendrils for 28.

Ok, and again for another simple walk through:

Empty The Warrens, City of Brass, Dark Ritual, Infernal Contract, Brainstorm, Simian Spirit Guide, and Chrome Mox.

Turn 1: Play City, Dark Ritual, Infernal Contract, drawing: Diminishing Returns, Chrome Mox, Simian Spirit Guide, and Brainstorm. Storm: 2 Mana: 0
Play Mox; imprint Returns, Play Brainstorm, draw Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor, and City of Brass, Put back, City and Brainstorm. Storm: 4 Mana: 0
Play Mox; imprint Infernal, Play Dark Ritual. Storm: 5 Mana: BBB
Remove both Guides, Play Empty the Warrens for 12 tokens.

Ok, so that's a basic game walk-through (that was the last two goldfish I have sitting in front of me, not some made up hypothetical situations). But to be able to actually play the deck, walk-through isn't that helpful. So here are some basic rules.

What to look for in a keep-able hand:
1. You have first turn mana, be it Petal, Mox, or a land.
2. You have a mix of tutors, and mana. You can sometimes keep hands with all mana, if you really feel like you'll draw that tutor, but I would not recommend it, as you could be up against thresh, and it sucks to see your only tutor, have tea with the guy in Force of Will (what is that anyways? A Djinn?).
3. If you have 2 or more protection spells, think hard about if you want to keep it. Yes double chants can be nice, but if you have a land, a blank (Tendrils, IGG, Returns, Contract) and 2 Chants, you don't have much those last 3 slots could be, and be a really strong hand.
4. A hand, that fits the deck you're playing. If you have the first turn Empty, but the guy has Explosives, main, and killed off your swarm first turn last game, you might want to think if the hand is tendrils-able, if you should risk the Warrens, or if you should mull.

First Turn Plays:
0. (Do this with every hand, every turn) Can I win the game? Do I have Dark Ritual, double LED, and an Infernal Tutor? Can I play ETW for 16? Look for the "I Win" situation first.
1. Lay a land
2. Look to draw cards, brainstorm, contract etc.
3. Play a swarm
4. Set-up for a turn 2?

Turn 2:
0. Do you win? Do I have the protection to back it up? It's now turn 2, they could have two lands in play, meaning Force of Will, AND Counterspell/Stifle. Can I win around that?
1. Land
2. Draw
3. Protection

These are just a quick list I run through as I play. The sooner you can win the better, but sometimes the correct play is waiting a turn to have that extra mana for a Chant. Nothing sucks as much, as watching 2 Ill-Gotten Gains resolve, thinking you have it made, to hit a stifle on your win. Remember, winning fast is good, but this isn't Belcher, we sacrifice speed for flexibility, and consistency for a reason. This deck can play around any hate through at it, remember that. If they aren't combo, you can wait a turn or two, to test the waters, and get ready for your unstoppable win.

Always look for the "I Win" hands. If you find yourself with it, it's probably a good idea to try and go for it, unless you know they have an answer. If you can pull off a win in the first 1-2 turns, you should be free of much hate (Pillar, Counterspell, Mage, and Hymn).

With so much hate that comes down so fast, waiting a turn or two can sometimes be the correct answer to be able to answer it. I know, I know, win, fast, but take you time. That's what the deck does, it all depends on the match up, and the hand you draw, and your confidence in your ability to combo. My best advice for playing the deck well is to just play it. Proxy it out (it's MUCH easier to learn not on MWS) and start playing it. See what turn average you are winning out of your first 10 games. They playing it for like 50 more games, and then 10 more, finding the average. I'll bet you you're a whole turn faster the 2nd set of 10, that you were the first. Just practice with it. Learn the ins and outs of comboing. When your feeling up to it, imagine they have Force EVERY game, and they also have seen your hand and know exactly what to counter, can you play around it? After you can combo out and feel ready, try a MWS game, if you can beat the Force every game, you should have no problem against all the guys on MWS. You'll think playing the deck in against someone is actually easier than gold fishing (unless you're playing MUC, but who plays that…).

Match-Ups

Threshold (40-50% of winning) – Threshold is a G/U/x aggro-control deck. This is by far one of your hardest matchup's along with Landstill. They have a pretty fast clock with the inclusion of Tarmogoyf and other biggist creatures. But the largest problem is Force of Will, Daze, and in some cases Stifle. Some versions run Pithing Needle, over Stifle, and you love playing them. Just remember that the longer you wait the better. Empty the Warrens shines in that match up, as a first turn play. I would almost never recommend trying to combo out via tendrils turn one, on the draw, as there are just too many things that can go wrong. Turn 1 on the play, you have to watch out for Force, but other than that, you should be clean of most disruption. If you can't combo turn 1 on the play, you should wait till you can get a Orim's Chant, or Xantid Swarm to stick. The is no better play against Threshold that turn 1 swarm. You can now combo next turn, and if they Force it, depending on what they remove, you can know if they have a counter, or are free to combo this/next turn.

Sideboard:
+3 Pyroblast
+2 Red Elemental Blast
-2 Infernal Contract
-1 Chrome Mox
-2 Your Choice

Postboard (50-55%) – Here is where things get better. They usually have very little to bring in against you, since they think they have a strong game 1. Watch out for Meddling Mage, in G/U/w builds, but that is about the scariest card they can bring in post board. You now should have enough protection, to be able to combo rather easy. It should now be easy to get two protection spell in hand before comboing to ensure two disruption spells on their half don't ruin your day. Swarm is still amazing.

Landstill (35-45%) – Very much like the Threshold match up. Although here you want to win sooner than later, not because of their killing, you, but that fact they get into a very strong late game. Empty the Warrens shines in that match up, as a first turn play. Same problem cards as Threshold but expect them all. Almost all Landstill variants now run Stifle, so watch out for them. Many of their cards are dead to you, like Wrath of God, Disk, and Swords to Plowshares. Just remember to watch out for all their disruption. If they get Standstill down, try to break it as fast as possible, you don't want them sculpting a perfect hand, and THEN getting three more cards. The versions that run Counterbalance and Top can be VERY hard. Here you are going to want to try and win as fast as possible, because Counterbalance, dodges ALL you hate. This is by far your hardest matchup. Luckily for you, Landstill rarely does very well. It has absolutely 0 First place finishes in larger tournaments (See Anslims Historical Top 8's), and so hopeful if you miss it in your first few rounds, you will be able to go the entire day not seeing it.

Sideboard:
+3 Pyroblast
+2 Red Elemental Blast
-2 Infernal Contract
-1 Chrome Mox
-2 Your Choice

Postboard (40-50%) – Not much better. They now have Meddling Mages (if they didn't before) and many other nasty's. Again try and combo fast. Waiting around can be your undoing.

Goblins (65-75%) – Basically a bye. This is one of your easiest match-ups. You have nothing to worry about first game, unless they are running some CRAZY tech, like Chalice of the Void, or Pyrostatic Pillar. I have yet to see a game I shouldn't have won against goblins. Of course, even though this is an amazingly easy match, don't get cocky. Goblins can often win out of nowhere, so if you can win the game, do so. You can always drop a Empty The Warrens for 4-6 if you need to buy yourself time to combo.

Sideboard:
Nothing!

Postboard (60-70%) – Now you may have problems. Because Goblins has such a bad Combo matchup, they often over hate it in their board. Here you will need to watch out for Chalice of the Void as well as Pyrostatic Pillar. Both cards, while not game ending, can slow you down, long enough for Goblins to pull off its turn 4 win. If you see lost of goblins players in your metagame, and all of the run Chalice and Pillar, you might want to consider adding Hull Breach to your sideboard, over tranquility, to be able to kill both with one spell. The good thing is that, you should have won game 1, meaning you have two chances to win here, so if you somehow lose to Chalice and Pillar, you still have another game.

CRET Belcher (45-55%) – About even. They have a slightly faster clock, so if you get to pick, always go first. Although they have a faster clock, you have Orim's Chant. A well timed chant can kill them, so any spell that would given them 7 mana is almost always worth chanting in response to. They also have Empty the Warrens, so if they Burning Wish, that's also a good time to Chant. Besides that, you should try and combo out as fast as you can. Don't worry about protection, they have nothing to disrupt you.

Sideboard:
Nothing!

Postboard (45-55%) – Nether deck has much to sideboard. Both will just try and keep up their speed, and win fast. Same as Game 1.

Cephalid Breakfast (Not enough testing, but about even) – I have not tested this matchup nearly as much as I would wish. Because a solid Breakfast list is still developing, I can only give scrambled advice. They combo pretty fast, usually around turn 3. You combo Before turn 3, so that shouldn't be a problem, but they also have Force of Will. This match should be about even, but it depends on their build and playskill.

Sideboard:
+2 Pyroblast
-1 Infernal Contract
-1 Chrome Mox

Postboard (More testing needed, but worse than game 1) – This looks worse. Now they bring in Abeyance and/or Duress. Both of these slow you up, and give them time to win. Although this can be a tough match, it is far from as bad as Landstill. When comboing, remember Abeyance doesn't come online till turn 2, Duress is far from gamebreaking, and Force of Will, you can play around. Also, you can always Chant inresponce to them milling, to stop them from flashing back Dread Return. This buys you a turn, where their only ammunition, is in their hand, and that should be pretty exhausted if they are comboing turns 2-3.

Ichorid (50-60%) – This is a close matchup, but in your favor. You can win, and they have nothing to stop you. Also Diminishing Returns, kills them. It basically works as a Time walk, resetting everything they have done except playing their lands. Empty the Warrens works well in the matchup if you need to stall, or just want to win fast. Just watch out for the nuts draw of Lion's Eye Diamond, and Breakthrough. If they go Land, Lion's Eye Diamond, you might want to chant inresponce. Also, if hoards of Narcomoeba are spawning, and you see bridges in the grave, try to chant, to keep the angry Flame-Kin Zelot in the grave where he belongs so as not to Kindle those Zombie swarms, and buy yourself more time.

Sideboard:
Nothing!

Postboard (40-50%) – The bring in Platinum Angle. Not a huge deal, shattering Spree it off a wish, and win. Same strategy as before, but now Dread Return is much more of a threat. Just don't let them dreadge their library away.

Life from the Loam (60-70%) – Very easy to beat. The only problem you might even encounter is Solitary Confinement, but grab a tranquility, and smash it, and win. You are much faster, and they can do little to stop you from comboing. Diminishing Returns kills them and is almost an auto win, if played at the right time.

Sideboard:
Nothing!

Postboard (55-65%) – They don't have much to bring in, only Chalice of the Void, and some bring in Glacial Chasm. Chasm can be hard to stop, but you should be able to win before the lock come online, or tranquility away their explorations, to make them sac a land a turn to keep the lock running. You could always chant them, to force them to lose life, and if you can get 1-2 chants in, you should be able to kill them off. Of course Diminishing Returnsis still almost an auto win.

Survival (60-70%) – You're faster, win when you can. Diminishing Returns ruins everything they have been searching for, and since most versions like the creatures they discard, you hit that as well. A lot like the Life match up, they have little to stop you from comboing, and it's almost a goldfish.

Sideboard:
Nothing!

Postboard (55-65%) – They are many cards you can expect to see now. Glowrider, Duress, Extripate. These all require that they splash white or black, so if they aren't they have weaker hate cards. Glowrider, come online turn 3, and you should have won already. Duress, slows you, but is by no means game breaking. Extripate is not even good against TES. There is no one card that they can target, and stop you. Some cards, like Infernal Tutor, or Lion's Eye Diamond hurt, but since they can hit Burning Wish, and all the others, are not essential you have, it's pretty easy to win past that.

Just on a side note. Some cards you dread, some you dislike but shrug off, and some that you love seeing. All of these are being used as combo hate. None of these are game over, as you have outs to them all, but some are worse than others.

Hate to see:
Trickbind
Counterbalance (with top)
Hymn to Tourach
Stifle
Glacial Clasm (If a lock)
Orim's Chant
Abeyance

Dislike:
Leyline of the Void
Force of Will
Daze
Duress
Chalice if the Void
Arcane Laboratory
City of Solitude

Love:
Pithing Needle
Pyrostatic Pillar

Customizing it to you

Its fine and dandy what I do with The EPIC Storm, but what about you? You're not WastedLife, or myself, or even the kid in the corner staring at the girl he wants to ask out, but never has, because he doesn't have the balls. (Well maybe you are the last kid, and if so, ask her, trust me, she's worth it). The point is that this article is supposed to help YOU play TES. I have given you my old list (I'm working on something kind of crazy right now, and don't want to give it out, and say use this, and it turns out to be total crap) and told you how to play it out. But all that makes you is a clone of me. Nobody made me the expert on this deck, I'm not even close. I know it well, but that doesn't help you. One of the best reasons to play TES is because it is so amazingly versatile. Because of that it has room for customization. There are many slots that you should never mess around with. LED, Wish, and Tutor being the obvious ones. Basically for you deck to be TES you MUST have this:

// Lands
4 City of Brass
4 Gemstone Mine
// Mana
4 Lotus Petal
4 Lion's Eye Diamond
4 Dark Ritual
// Tutor/Draw
4 Brainstorm
4 Infernal Tutor
4 Burning Wish
// Broken Combo/Storm Enablers
1 Diminishing Returns
1 Ill-Gotten Gains
// Win
2 Empty the Warrens
1 Tendrils of Agony

That's it. Everything else in the deck can be changed. Now some of the cards in those slots really SHOULD be there, but they don't HAVE to. So what do you put in the open slots? If you want to just copy what has been tried and true for many people, take my list from above. But if you want to try and learn about the deck yourself, and become a better deck builder, as well as a better player, than read on.

Cards to Try:
Diminishing Returns – some have advocated using more than 1 main deck, I find it to be too large of card loss to the 10 RFG, but give it a whirl.
Meditate – Used to try and give you a draw 4 w/o the life loss, tested, and then taken back out, but it might work in some metagames.
Plunge into Darkness – Once a un-cutable card, now it's sitting in my box of "cards I once/may play in TES". Good tutor, cut because it clogs up hands too often.
Tinder Wall – Gives a nice mana boost, cut for lack of space.
Cabal Ritual – Mana boost, cut for better mana acceleration (Simian Spirit Guide's along with Rite of Flame's)
Serum Visions – Might work well to supplement Brainstorm, and give you some more draw power.
Tomb of Urami – Gives you a 3rd win condition, cut because of the color requirements.

Cards I wouldn't recommend:
Culling of the Weak – You really don't want to have to have creatures; it makes the deck so inconsistent.
Birds Of Paradise – I don't remember why, someone tried to run this, but it didn't work out well, as expected, (tried to use Culling at the same time I believe)
Priest Of Gix – It adds storm, that's it, there are better things to do with a card, like add storm AND mana, or add storm AND tutor.
Trinket Mage – Both Priest Of Gix, and Mage were run in older versions of TES. It's just not worth it. It adds storm, and pulls a LED, to replace the mana investment, not really that great.

That's about it. This should start you off in what to try and what to leave in your junk box. Just remember that the more you practice the better you will become. Just keep at it, and try and do something new. Find a card nobody else ever though would work, and become the guy who brags and says "I was the one who found Card X and broke TES with it"

Further Reading

Links to MTG Source, Mana Drain, and SCG's forums, also all links Bryant has on his write-up.

The EPIC Storm really is a force to be reckoned with. Because it can combo fast, and still dodge almost all hate (I have yet to see a single card that kills it cold, but I know somebody will find something at 22 mana…) TES is an amazing choice for the current metagame. Much of the hate aimed at combo decks is too narrow to stop TES. You can play around graveyard hate, chalice, pillar, hand disruption, land disruption, and counters. Do not be fooled by the lack of Top 8's that TES has posted. Because of its wear on the user over a long tournament it has not had large tournament support. Yet WastedLife has made Top 8 almost all of the tournaments he has attended with it.

In closing, I would like to remind you that this article is not the law. It is not supposed to give you a list and say play X, Y, and Z, by doing A, B, and C. It is more of a deeper look into what actually makes the deck. This should be used as a started guide into how to start playing the deck for the newer player, and insight for more experienced players. Feel free to take the deck, and bend it over a chair (but please send me your Chants before you bend them) and try something totally off the wall. The deck will never become better if something new is never tried, so go ahead and break it.

As a closing piece of advice: Don't pass priority on your Wish/Tutor if you have a LED still on the table.

Modifié par planarvoid, 08 April 2013 - 20:44 .

I don't speak french, pardon my bad translations...

Je ne parle pas le français, le pardon ma mauvaise traduction ...

Image IPB

#2 Choobak

Choobak
  • Membres
  • 3343 messages

Posté 02 November 2007 - 19:14

Pour l'avoir IRL et jouer très régulièrement combo, Je trouve que ce deck se barre en c... trop souvent pour gagner un bon tournois. C'est pour dire : je fizzle plus souvent avec ce deck qu'avec BRG Belcher. Je trouve IGGy pop plus fluide et nettement plus stable.

#3 APriestOfGix

APriestOfGix
  • Membres
  • 39 messages

Posté 02 November 2007 - 19:39

Voir le messageChoobak, le Vendredi 02 Novembre 2007 à 11:14, dit :

Pour l'avoir IRL et jouer très régulièrement combo, Je trouve que ce deck se barre en c... trop souvent pour gagner un bon tournois. C'est pour dire : je fizzle plus souvent avec ce deck qu'avec BRG Belcher. Je trouve IGGy pop plus fluide et nettement plus stable.

Play the deck out.  I NEVER fizzle, it's amazingly hard to play, but this has won MANY tournaments, and is one of the best becks in the format.  I'm not trying to prove that it is good, it has already been proven.  You guys in france have just missed it, but it is one of the strongest decks you can play.

Jouer le pont. Je JAMAIS fizzle, il est incroyablement difficile à jouer, mais cela n'a remporté NOMBREUX tournois, et est l'un des meilleurs becks au format. Je ne cherche pas à prouver qu'il est bon, il a déjà été prouvée. Vous homme en france venons manqué, mais il est l'un des ponts les plus forts, vous pouvez jouer.

Image IPB

#4 Jo_la_loose

Jo_la_loose
  • Membres
  • 2152 messages

Posté 02 November 2007 - 20:08

Well, actually, there's something you're not taking into account : the french meta.
Threshold's just EVERYWHERE.

And Threshold with meddling mage and counter/top (AND stifle) is dominant among threshold versions.
Which means, basically, that one of the toughest MU for TES is also the dominant deck in the meta. ;)

Bad news is : Landstill is also played a lot, especially these days as it has quite a good MU against those threshold deck lurking around...

So, yes, TES would have a tought time hacking its way through in any tournament here...

Modifié par Jo_la_loose, 02 November 2007 - 20:10 .

#5 ASSASSIN

ASSASSIN
  • Membres
  • 4469 messages

Posté 02 November 2007 - 23:48

TES est certainement, aprés ichoride, le deck qui a le meilleur match-up contre seuil.

Il ne fizzle que sur dimishing returns et sinon a beaucoup de possibilités. Mais il n'est pas si dur à jouer car si on rate le kill a la trendrill on peut souvent se rabattre sur ETW. Pour connaitre entiérement le deck c'est certainement plus long.

Mais pour l'avoir joué c'est un combo solide, mais pas l'un des meilleurs decks du format non plus.

Concernant le topic je pense qu'il faudrait plutot mettre un lien vers le sujet d'origine puis le traduire en conservant les noms des cartes et les expressions propres a Magic (deck, sideboard...). Le sujet tel quel est relativement illisible car il est trop long et car le mot "deck" devient "pont" en francais, sideboard devient buffet...

TES is certainly, after ichorid, the deck with the best MU against treshold.

And the deck can fizzle with diminshing returns. But it is not hard to play it, because when you want kill you can begin the combo and see after what is better : ToA or ETW. But if you want totally knows the deck it is probably long.

I play TES and I think the deck is good, but not "one of the best becks in the format".

About your thread I think you must link original post and put traduction with the card name and MTG expressions (deck, sideboard...) in english. Actual thread is unreadable because it is too long and because deck become pont, sideboard become buffet...
please don't drive me blind

#6 APriestOfGix

APriestOfGix
  • Membres
  • 39 messages

Posté 03 November 2007 - 00:58

This is actually an artical i wrote for Star City Games

TES IS on of the best decks...

Il s'agit en fait d'un article dont je suis l'auteur de Star City Games

TES EST sur des meilleurs ponts ...

Image IPB

#7 Jo_la_loose

Jo_la_loose
  • Membres
  • 2152 messages

Posté 03 November 2007 - 12:01

Voir le messageASSASSIN, le Vendredi 02 Novembre 2007 à 23:48, dit :

TES est certainement, aprés ichoride, le deck qui a le meilleur match-up contre seuil.
;)  :)  ;)

#8 ekrasios

ekrasios
  • Membres
  • 682 messages

Posté 03 November 2007 - 12:27

APriestofGix : thanks for copying here this article and give us links

but please, as Assassin told you, never translate your posts with google translator, we will translate it ourself for a better understanding for everyone in this forum

(example : "TES is on of the best decks" was translated in "TES est sur des meilleurs ponts" which mean "TES is on better bridges"  :) )... of course google translator didn't see that TES is on of... should be TES is one of...  ;)

as Jo_la_loose told you, metagame is an important point to deal with, and threshold actually is the more often seen deck in our metagame. Moreover, you don't speak in your article about couterbalance/sensei divining top, which is auto-included in threshold here, and about spell snare, a strong turn 1 disruption if threshold player won the toss against infernal tutor and burning wish

ASSASSIN : si des gens ont du mal avec l'article original, je peux le traduire

Modifié par ekrasios, 03 November 2007 - 12:28 .

#9 APriestOfGix

APriestOfGix
  • Membres
  • 39 messages

Posté 03 November 2007 - 14:21

ok, i wasn't sure of the English here, but i assumed it was better than my foreign language skills (America BLOWS at thinking about the big picture...)

TES is actually doing VERY well fighting through a Thresh/Landstill filled metagame.  It is doing an amazing job.

That said, this artical was written a while ago, and spell snare and CB/T were not yet auto include in Thresh.

Yes CB/T makes it hard for TES, (spell snare is just another counter stopped by chant/swarm)  That is why the newer version run 3-7 pyroblast/red elemental blast to stop counter/mage/CB

Image IPB

#10 Yoshiblow

Yoshiblow
  • Membres
  • 197 messages

Posté 11 November 2007 - 15:42

I was just wondering (never played the deck but I've played IGG) how do you manage multiple wasteland?
Joueur de Legacy retraité!

#11 ASSASSIN

ASSASSIN
  • Membres
  • 4469 messages

Posté 11 November 2007 - 23:06

Voir le messageYoshiblow, le Dimanche 11 Novembre 2007 à 15:42, dit :

I was just wondering (never played the deck but I've played IGG) how do you manage multiple wasteland?
IGG needs generally two or three lands, TES only one land. With mox chrome and SSG you can also play without lands ;).
please don't drive me blind

#12 Choobak

Choobak
  • Membres
  • 3343 messages

Posté 12 November 2007 - 11:42

Voir le messageASSASSIN, le Dimanche 11 Novembre 2007 à 23:06, dit :

IGG needs generally two or three lands, TES only one land. With mox chrome and SSG you can also play without lands :).

Yes, but it's easier with one or two lands ;)

After tests in our French metagame, i think TES need more protection for the combo. I'm trying with 3 and 4 xanthids.

#13 Elmi

Elmi
  • Membres
  • 56 messages

Posté 12 November 2007 - 15:45

Voir le messageChoobak, le Lundi 12 Novembre 2007 à 11:42, dit :

Yes, but it's easier with one or two lands ;)

After tests in our French metagame, i think TES need more protection for the combo. I'm trying with 3 and 4 xanthids.

Je te conseille la dernière liste jouée par Wastedlife (le créateur du deck) sur TheSource, j'ai mis à jour l'analyse du deck sur MT (assez brièvement et sans touche personnelle à la liste cette fois il est vrai, mais l'évolution vaut le coup d'oeil).

4x Dark Confidant, 4x Orim's Chant et 2x Abeyance, en plus des ReB comme indiqué par APriestOfGix optimisent vraiment le match contre NQG. Même si l'addition de Bob Maindeck parait paradoxale comme seule créature sur table, ça vaut la peine de tester, perso j'ai adopté  :)

APriestOfGix, I've done some tests with Contract, but didn't like it that much maindeck (even 1x as a random tutor target), often lacking black sources and having it dead in my hand (sometimes preventing me from having an hellbent tutor as IGG, Tendrils and sometimes EtW).

My meta is now used to EtW, and I agree with Wastedlife that it's not the main kill condition that it was in the unprepared meta: Landstill is now playing deed, Rock is now playing EE + Deed, Faerie Stompy is playing EE, Threshold often plays Pyroclasm/EE/Plague, some Goblins lists are playing EE, ... So I think decreasing to 1 Maindeck is a good idea. Now it's certainly a meta call, as the French meta is less infested by control (and they almost never see EtW combo) as the Belgian meta.

#14 revo

revo
  • Membres
  • 394 messages

Posté 18 December 2007 - 21:05

QUe pensez-vous de Meditate dans ce paquet ?
Car ça fait un peu comme les Draw4 noirs, mais sans nécessiter une dark ritual pour etre casté ...

Dans ma liste je les teste à la place des Ponder, ici je sais pas trop...

#15 Elmi

Elmi
  • Membres
  • 56 messages

Posté 18 December 2007 - 22:46

Voir le messagerevo, le Mardi 18 Décembre 2007 à 21:05, dit :

QUe pensez-vous de Meditate dans ce paquet ?
Car ça fait un peu comme les Draw4 noirs, mais sans nécessiter une dark ritual pour etre casté ...

Dans ma liste je les teste à la place des Ponder, ici je sais pas trop...
Le problème, c'est que contrairement à Solidarity, le Draw4 est pas joué la majorité du temps le tour où on part en combo. C'est souvent un Setup Spell ou un moyen de forcer l'adversaire à cramer un contre. Et donner un tour avec un jeu qui veut partir en combo tour 3 au plus tard (si on joue les Draw 4 et pas Bob/Abeyance), c'est pas une bonne idée.